/dev/spidev0.1: device in use

Hi,

Raspberry pi 3B - Wazigate V1.1.3

After sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade which has upgraded to Linux 5.4.51-v7+ armv7l I am now getting:

Err: looking for SX127X: can not export gpio8: write /sys/class/gpio/export: device or resource busy

Err: looking for SX127X: /dev/spidev0.1: device is in use

from the wazigate-lora logs.

Please check and advise.

Kind regards

Paul

I think @moji can reply

Hi Paul,

It looks like waziugate-lora cannot find the lora-module.

Do you have a LoRa module attached on your Raspberry pi? something like WaziHAT single channel?
something like this:

Cheers

Hi Moji,

Yes, that’s the system I have.

The update was with apt not apt-get.

The current output with apt-get is the following:

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required: rpi-eeprom-images Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it. The following packages have been kept back: binutils binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf binutils-common libbinutils python-rpi.gpio python3-rpi.gpio raspberrypi-ui-mods The following packages will be upgraded: apt apt-transport-https apt-utils arandr base-files bind9-host bluez bluez-firmware ca-certificates connectd containerd.io distro-info-data docker-ce docker-ce-cli dphys-swapfile ffmpeg firmware-atheros firmware-brcm80211 firmware-libertas firmware-misc-nonfree firmware-realtek fuse gir1.2-pango-1.0 git git-man gldriver-test gtk2-engines-clearlookspix hostapd iputils-ping libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg5.0 libavcodec58 libavdevice58 libavfilter7 libavformat58 libavresample4 libavutil56 libbind9-161 libbluetooth3 libcups2 libcupsimage2 libcurl3-gnutls libdns-export1104 libdns1104 libfm-data libfm-extra4 libfm-gtk-data libfm-gtk4 libfm-modules libfm4 libfuse2 libgnutls-dane0 libgnutls-openssl27 libgnutls28-dev libgnutls30 libgnutlsxx28 libicu63 libisc-export1100 libisc1100 libisccc161 libisccfg163 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common liblwres161 libnss3 libobrender32v5 libobt2v5 libopenmpt0 libpam-chksshpwd libpam-modules libpam-modules-bin libpam-runtime libpam-systemd libpam0g libpango-1.0-0 libpangocairo-1.0-0 libpangoft2-1.0-0 libpangoxft-1.0-0 libpostproc55 libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 libssh-gcrypt-4 libssl1.1 libswresample3 libswscale5 libsystemd0 libtag1v5 libtag1v5-vanilla libudev1 libunbound8 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 lxinput lxpanel lxpanel-data lxplug-bluetooth lxplug-cputemp lxplug-ejecter lxplug-network lxplug-ptbatt lxplug-volume lxterminal obconf openbox openssl pcmanfm pi-bluetooth pi-greeter pi-package pi-package-data pi-package-session piclone pipanel pishutdown piwiz pprompt python-motephat python-pil python3-motephat python3-pgzero python3-pil raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-sys-mods raspi-config rc-gui realvnc-vnc-server rp-prefapps rpd-plym-splash rpi-chromium-mods rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images rpi-update systemd systemd-sysv tzdata udev wpasupplicant xserver-common xserver-xorg-core 142 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded. Need to get 277 MB of archives. After this operation, 7,691 kB disk space will be freed. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n Abort.

I note that:

The following packages have been kept back: binutils binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf binutils-common libbinutils python-rpi.gpio python3-rpi.gpio raspberrypi-ui-mods

Maybe these are the packages that are affecting the SPI port?

Using apt gives the following:
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required: rpi-eeprom-images Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it. The following NEW packages will be installed: agnostics fio libaio1 libfl2 libnuma1 librbd1 librdmacm1 lxplug-magnifier rp-bookshelf rpi.gpio-common The following packages will be upgraded: apt apt-transport-https apt-utils arandr base-files bind9-host binutils binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf binutils-common bluez bluez-firmware ca-certificates connectd containerd.io distro-info-data docker-ce docker-ce-cli dphys-swapfile ffmpeg firmware-atheros firmware-brcm80211 firmware-libertas firmware-misc-nonfree firmware-realtek fuse gir1.2-pango-1.0 git git-man gldriver-test gtk2-engines-clearlookspix hostapd iputils-ping libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg5.0 libavcodec58 libavdevice58 libavfilter7 libavformat58 libavresample4 libavutil56 libbind9-161 libbinutils libbluetooth3 libcups2 libcupsimage2 libcurl3-gnutls libdns-export1104 libdns1104 libfm-data libfm-extra4 libfm-gtk-data libfm-gtk4 libfm-modules libfm4 libfuse2 libgnutls-dane0 libgnutls-openssl27 libgnutls28-dev libgnutls30 libgnutlsxx28 libicu63 libisc-export1100 libisc1100 libisccc161 libisccfg163 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common liblwres161 libnss3 libobrender32v5 libobt2v5 libopenmpt0 libpam-chksshpwd libpam-modules libpam-modules-bin libpam-runtime libpam-systemd libpam0g libpango-1.0-0 libpangocairo-1.0-0 libpangoft2-1.0-0 libpangoxft-1.0-0 libpostproc55 libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 libssh-gcrypt-4 libssl1.1 libswresample3 libswscale5 libsystemd0 libtag1v5 libtag1v5-vanilla libudev1 libunbound8 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 lxinput lxpanel lxpanel-data lxplug-bluetooth lxplug-cputemp lxplug-ejecter lxplug-network lxplug-ptbatt lxplug-volume lxterminal obconf openbox openssl pcmanfm pi-bluetooth pi-greeter pi-package pi-package-data pi-package-session piclone pipanel pishutdown piwiz pprompt python-motephat python-pil python-rpi.gpio python3-motephat python3-pgzero python3-pil python3-rpi.gpio raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-sys-mods raspberrypi-ui-mods raspi-config rc-gui realvnc-vnc-server rp-prefapps rpd-plym-splash rpi-chromium-mods rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images rpi-update systemd systemd-sysv tzdata udev wpasupplicant xserver-common xserver-xorg-core 149 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 283 MB of archives. After this operation, 2,478 kB disk space will be freed. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n Abort

The NEW packages are:

The following NEW packages will be installed: agnostics fio libaio1 libfl2 libnuma1 librbd1 librdmacm1 lxplug-magnifier rp-bookshelf rpi.gpio-common

Maybe one of these have changed the SPI way of working?

Have gone back to the previous version - all is working OK.

Kind regards Paul

1 Like

@moji Please see this:

Kind regards Paul

1 Like

My understanding is that the new version of Raspbian uses GPIO07 for some new purpose. The previous version didn’t use it. However LoRa hats also uses GPIO07.
@paulimison, did you try the overlay solution proposed in the post?
@moji, what do you think, should we include the overlay solution in the new version of the WaziGate?
Should we plan to re-wire something in the next version of the WaziHat?
Cheers

1 Like

Hi
I double checked the WaziHAT design both for single and multi channels, they both use GPIO08 (SPI_CE0 look here: https://pinout.xyz/pinout/pin24_gpio8#) for chip-select which is recommended by RPi as well. So GPIO07 is not wired on WaziHAT. and LoRa should work without a problem.

@paulimison Do you use a standard WaziHAT or you made your own LoRa hat?

PS: I put checking its function in practice in my TODO list as well.

Hi Moji,
I have the standard WaziHAT - the system provided to us for the first @iLab cohort. Regards Paul

1 Like

Hi, I have the same problem. I am using an RPI3 with the latest Wazi image and whether I try using an inAir9 module or Congduc’s old RFM95W plugin module on the RPI I get the error in the lora log.

2020-09-14T10:04:39.182830551Z [ ] Err: looking for SX127X: /dev/spidev0.1: device is in use

Does this mean I should use an older Wazi image? Thanks, Marvin
PS I don’t have any recent wazi hat modules.

Hi Marvin,
This error usually is shown when the codes is already running or some SPI config issues on the PI. Which version of the Wazi Image do you use?
All of WaziHAT modules should work without an issue.

Hi Moji, thanks for your reply. Since that message, my setup now works, so the issue is resolved. Regards, Marvin

1 Like